Monday, October 26, 2009

hidden talents.

The depths of DK's creativity never ceases to amaze me. He's had this idea of painting huge canvas' solid colors and placing them on white walls instead of actually painting the wall. It seemed to work well for Rothko, haha. Last Saturday we had some free time in which we chose to be creative and productive. I had some large prints to frame and DK decided to get his canvas work rolling. In Hobby Lobby, we made our way to the canvas section and after a few minutes, I left to hunt some letter stencils. When I came back 10 minutes later, DK had the frame pieces laying out across the aisle, tools, clamps and canvas spread out as he determined this was a better route than buying just the boring old ready made canvas. He wanted to learn to stretch the canvas himself.

I shake my head in disbelief yet wonder why I'm even surprised. You see, this man doesn't do anything in a conventional or typical manner. Not that he's trying to be difficult, he just doesn't work like that. His love language is completing projects together. He loves to build and create and learn.
The story gets better. He bought paint and paint brushes too. We get back to his place and I leave for a funeral. But an hour and a half later, I return and he's got a canvas stretched, being primed on his new easel, cheesecloth spread, paints ready to fly. I'm astounded. I decide to read through my latest Real Simple magazine in the big chair facing the window, my back to him. Every 10 minutes or so, I'd peek at his progress and would gasp. It was incredible. He stood there in front of this canvas, green and yellow paints flowing in what was an abstact and lush piece of art. It really is.

After an hour or so, I asked him "DK, have you ever painted before?" He turns his head towards me, shrugs and says "No, not really."
Later, the little guy decided he would follow in DK's footsteps.

No comments: