Friday, November 13, 2009

my car story.

I don't even really know where to begin! Fraulein Maria would tell me to start at the beginning, cause it's a very good place to start. So here we go.

So I bought this white Volvo S40 2 years ago and last August I paid it off. If I'm totally honest, I wasn't completely attatched to it and even at one point thought about selling it to get a old beater Volvo wagon. The wagon is what I really have wanted for so long to tow the dogs around and for camping, etc. But I guess God had a better idea. I take that back, I'm not guessing anymore, I KNOW.

2 weeks ago, I drove DK's truck to work and like a sweet boyfriend, he filled up the gas tank in my car. But after driving 10 miles, the car started smoking so he parked it till my dad, who typically works on my cars could come check it out. Andrew was in town, graciously checked things out with DK and together they determined it was safe to drive. The next day I drove it to work and back but as I exited for DK's place, the engine started making noises I've only heard in nightmares and the smoke from the engine had me coughing and gagging. Then it died.

Dad and a mechanic determined it was bad gas. What on earth?!

DK was amazing, told me all would be ok and I could use his car for as long as I needed. He even grew to love taking the bus in the meantime. The next day at work on yelp.com the BEST USER REVIEW site in the world. I've been using it for over a year now and the reviews for restaurants, music venues, and so much more are very dependable. I decided to check out auto care... and Ron's Downtown Automotive came to the top of the list with terrific reviews. I called him up and Ron himself answered, had me cracking up from the get go. He tells me get the car towed over here, this is the tow company I use, I'll look at it right away and call you back.

The next morning calls to tell me it's not bad gas, it was a hose that blew and after driving the car too long, I blew a head on the engine and it's absolutely 100% not good anymore. "You need a new engine" Ron tells me and I ask "What does that cost?" and he says "3-5 grand" and I crumbled. He immediately follows with "But I'll buy it from ya and ya should probably just get a new car." The amount he offered on my car made me cringe, especially since I'd just paid it off. I wanted to crawl in a hole... or snap my fingers and be done with it. I was so stressed and overwhelmed.

SO, the NEXT morning DK and I drove early early to the U-haul in downtown to pick up a trailer. The plan was to pick up my car and drive it to The Woodlands to at least park it in dad's driveway till I could figure out what to do with the dang thing. I was trying so hard to have a positive attitude and remember for myself the things I talk about daily on-air like "God's got a plan" and "God will always provide" and "God won't leave you hanging." But I was doubting, I was really struggling.

I walked into the U-haul office and heard some familiar tunes playing! I was next in line, smiled to the man behind the counter and said "Good morning, how are you? I'm so glad you're playing KSBJ!" The man goes on to tell me it's his favorite station and he always has it on inside. I tell him I work there and after connecting several dots I learn he's been involved with KSBJ for years and goes to church with several staff members. His name is Albert and he's amazing. He helped hook things up to DK's truck and while doing so spoke encouragement and truth to me about good things to come, God's favor, expecting great things and knowing He will provide. It was as though a close friend was helping us out and I was incredibly grateful.

We left and headed to south downtown to pick up my car. At 7:30 am these guys were already in full swing and I met Ron's brother Mike as we walked up. He's a big dude with long hair and put his arm around my shoulder to console me, was so sorry I was having such a tough time. Ron pulled up a few minutes later and at first glance this guy is tough, no nonsense and is a straight shooter. He's from New York and talks like it too. As the guys are helping DK load my car on the trailer, Ron tells me again he's willing to buy it. I'm fretting, not feeling peace about anything, everything is happening so fast and before I knew it, it was time to drive away.

Ron encourages me in his gruff voice, saying Volvo is a great car and if he didn't have his truck he'd just keep that Volvo wagon over there (he points across the lot) for himself. My eyes settle on at this beautiful slick black wagon then dart towards DK to my right as a huge mysterious grin creeps across his face, my eyes get big, I start shaking my head but as I look back to my left at Ron... he was halfway to the office to retrieve the keys to the wagon. A few moments later, DK and I are cruising around downtown... rather, FLOATING around downtown in this beautiful car. I knew right away I wanted it but absolutely didn't feel worthy or able.

Ron let me take it for the day and I felt so at home in that driver's seat. I don't know if it was because the weather was so beautiful or because the radio works in this car, maybe because the seats are the most comfortable? It drives so nice and I feel safer than safe.

In Humble, I dropped the car down the street from the station at Diamond Automotive, this guy Jeff is awesome and has helped me in the past with some minor car issues so I asked him to take a look at things for a second opinion. Everything checked out just fine and I felt more confident about making the purchase.

Also, Ron emailed me the Car Fax on the car while I was in the studio. I shared about my day on the air and then received a beautiful email from Albert (from U-haul) and I felt even more encouraged!! Ron and I emailed back and forth a few times and he ended up tuning in to KSBJ.

The next morning I woke up super early to get my game face on and make sure I had my whole approach nailed. There was still a lot of doubt looming as I didn't feel deserving and felt it was highly likely something would go wrong. I was worried, anxious and nervous. I was running low on time but decided to take the time to focus on a quiet time from my Sparkling Gems. The reading was all about open doors, discernment, people who speak encouraging truth, and God's favor. Wow!!

Ron called to see when I'd be by to do the exchange and we ended up talking about church. He has beautiful conviction and strength and I'm excited to see how God moves in his life even more. I invited him to church and I pray he comes :)

So if you know me, you know I hate handling or dealing with money. Dad came with me to the bank and though I didn't need a loan for much, I HATE being in debt. That was by far the most stressful part from there we had smooth sailing. As we drove towards Ron's, I was so excited for dad to meet this character. Ron and I talked about everything, he asked why DK hasn't proposed yet, I saw pictures of his family and my dad was in hysterical stitches the whole time. We had SO MUCH FUN, haha. Ron was unbelievably easy to work with, so informative and I feel confident that if anything goes wrong with this car, I have a great trustworthy mechanic to take it to.

Trustworthy mechanic is no longer an oxy-moron.

I drove to work yesterday in my new car completely at peace. It's what I was searching for, anxious for, and needing so badly. Not only was I driving a safe new car I felt great about, but I didn't even have to worry about handling my old broken one. I wish I'd been more relaxed through the whole experience, I should know better by now, right?!? But, IT ALWAYS WORKS OUT. God will provide.

On my drive to work this morning, I played one of my old Natasha Bedingfield c.d.'s and with the windows down and the sunroof open on this beautiful day I sang at the top of my lungs:

"Reaching for something in the distance
So close you can almost taste it
Release your inhibitions
Feel the rain on your skin
No one else can feel it for you
Only you can let it in
No one else, no one else
Can speak the words on your lips
Drench yourself in words unspoken
LIVE YOUR LIFE WITH ARMS WIDE OPEN
Today is where your book begins,
The rest is still unwritten."
Thank you dad, thank you DK, thank you Ron, thank you Albert and thank YOU for praying.

No comments: